Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:51:13 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dem ole Vanagon blues
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <doit.outdoors@yahoo.com>

I bought the Shoebox Eletronic Engine Monitor from Van Cafe and use it on both of my vans. I have cable pig tails in both of my ECU's so I can switch the monitor between vans as needed.That unit has paid for itself time and again. Whats really nice is you can drive the van down the road and at the same time get monitor readouts at the driver's seat. If one wishes, the unit can be mounted in a convenient spot. You can do all that it does with a good multimeter but you have to be stopped somewhere with the hatch open. This thing plugs directly into the ECU for read outs and you can see whats going on from the drivers seat as you go down the road. You do have to understand engine operations to interpret the readots it gives you. But the manual that comes with it tells you sbout that.

It's not cheap, nor is it cheaply made, and there are some variations of the unit that will lessen the pain of purchase. This ECU monitor is apparently a variation of the earlier monitor by Daryl Boehler. That you could build yourself. But this unit is more refined.

The only shortcoming with it for me is that I wish it had a tachometer. That would make it much handier when actually working on the engine. Sometimes when working on the enngine the tach on the dash pod is hard to see, or the tach is inoperative. A tach in the nmonitor would sure help!

John