Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Mar 2017 10:29:31 -0500
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front heater motor
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

I have done this job more times than I would care to count. Most of the time the front heater core is fine. Unless you are smelling coolant smell from the dash it is probably OK. Also the front fan resistor is usually also fine unless someone left the frozen fan on with a higher amperage fuse or something and fried it that way. Usually the fuse will blow when the fan freezes up. That is the time to replace it. As Dan said many times it is just the switch. If you take the old one out, and pop it apart it is a very simple part. You can usually clean up the contacts by scraping a razor knife over the points, pop it back together, and it is as good as new. I am saying this because quality new switches are getting hard to get or can be from time to time.

Finally the fan itself. I have had the best luck with the Meyle fans. I know some folks hate all Meyle products no matter what, but their fans are usually the best made. The are a copy of the OE fan, and work and fit correctly. I always test the fan BEFORE I put the dash back together though just to be sure it isn't defective (I have had one like that in about 10 years so not very likely).

The time, it takes me 4 hours from start to finish and this includes changing the interior foam seals for the flaps. I remove the air box, clean it with soap and water, wipe down the metal area inside the van that is full of dust, replace the seals, install the new fan, and reinstall the resistor and front heater core. We charge $125 an hour. Not sure why it would take 16 hours unless you were doing a bunch of other things at the same time. It is a great time to replace your brake booster, or master cylinder, or pedal assembly, new radio, replace the entire air box with the front Air Conditioning and heater box combo, etc.

HTH.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com