Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Mar 2017 21:50:50 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front heater motor
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

Does anyone have thoughts on repairing the hinges of the free-hanging flaps that bypass ram air around the blower? They pins on the flaps wear triangular, and the open-bottomed clips molded into the box wear into a funnel shape with gradually increasing gap -- especially in dusty areas. If those flaps fall out or don't swing freely the blower becomes completely ineffective, although ram air still works perfectly.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone but me even mention them, but to me they're an important item. I've kluged fixes with pins or bits of brass heated and shoved into place from the outside of the box, but I would love to see a systematic way of dealing with them. They have to swing freely because at the beginning of their swing toward closed there's a large opening and hence little force on them.

Yrs, d

I suppose at the worst you could glue them shut, but I suspect ram air would be considerably reduced.