Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:05:44 +0000
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      advice on new propane tank
Comments: To: "gerry@vanagon.com" <gerry@vanagon.com>

I was the one who asked the advice on a new propane tank and am surprised by the response.I think propane is no more dangerous or safe than gasoline and more Westies have burned up from gasoline fires than propane fires.As far as the purging issue I think the size of the tank and how you plan on using it makes a big difference as to purge by professional or self purging;The four pound Worthington tank that fits nicely in the back cabinet if you remove the middle shelf comes with an optional liquid level indicator screw.Since I plan to use this with my Coleman stove I think I will try self purging with propane from 20 pound tank and use the optional liquid level indicator screw as a bleeder to vent off all that water and nitrogen and oxygen that was the cause for much discussion.   If you do not hear from me again you will know that things did not go well.   Wish me luck   Gary

Date:    Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:41:38 -0400 From:    Steven Shelton <shelton4@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: advice on new propane tank

When I took my newly installed GoWesty tank to the local RV place to get it filled, I asked them about purging. They acted like that was nonsense, filled it once, and I didn't have any problems. I expected the burner to flicker some but didn't see it. Maybe if I used the refrigerator on gas (I don't remember now if I did) there might have been a problem keeping it going.