Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2017 14:34:36 +0000
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: advice on new propane tank
Comments: cc: "tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM" <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>

Karl,       We are in agreement about this being a bad place to store propane.   Never would store it there but it works good for transporting and easy to unload when we get to our campground.   Always store propane outside never in the van where you sleep.    Nice thing about the 4 pound tank is it is small and you need not fill it completely.   Used to transport my one pound propane tanks in the same spot.   GaryDate:    Fri, 24 Mar 2017 23:39:23 -0400 From:    Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM> Subject: Re: advice on new propane tank

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:05:44 +0000, gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>The four pound Worthington tank=C2 that fits nicely in the back cabinet if you remove the middle shelf

This is another bad idea. Never store bulk tanks inside the van. Depending on the amount of propane in the tank, hot temps can cause the propane pressure to rise to a point where the over-pressure vent will open and spew propane out. The only safe way to keep one inside the van is inside a sealed compartment with at least a 4 square inch hole in the bottom to vent any accumulated propane gas out (heavier than air). Once I had a 20-lb tank filled on a hot day, strapped in behind the passenger seat for a 10-minute ride home. I was tinkering with some other things in the Westy, with the slider open, forgot to take the tank out. Suddenly it let go with a burst of propane right next to me. Good thing I wasn't working with a spark or flame device!