Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:56:25 -0400
From:         George Gaudette <gcgaudette@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where's the other end of my broken ground strap?

I attempted to do some diagnostics today. Questions and observations numbered below for easier commentary.

#1: What's that tab? -------------------------- Starting at the solenoid -- I expected it to look like this:

https://goo.gl/images/tMMgbZ

And -- aside from all the horrific corrosion, maybe it does -- here's mine (upside down for better comparison):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8tMxwv9EpaWOWwyanRvSkprLW8

The male tab with no wire is my first concern, especially as David Beierl alerted that a wire could have fallen off terminal 50. But I can't find any disconnected wire hanging around anywhere in that area. Perhaps my solenoid is a different model, and that tab should not have anything connected to it? I doesn't seem to have a flare where terminal 50 is in the first photo.

#2: Attempts to jump solenoid to alternator -------------------------------------------------------- Let's say that tab *is* terminal 50, and there's a wire missing. If everything else is fine, then jumping that to alternator B+ should cause crank, right? I tried that, nothing except some sparks at contact. Measured about 12V with my multimeter.

I also disconnected the red wire (white plastic end) from the solenoid and attempted to jump that the same way (to alternator B+). Same result.

Was I supposed to have someone turning the key while I did the jump? I assume not. If so, to ON? To START?

#3: Quick test for shifter interlock switch ----------------------------------------------------- I think this is a moot point because of the results of #2. All the same I did the "turn the key to START while moving the shifter to P to N and back" thing. No crank.

#4: Ignition switch ------------------------ Also probably moot considering #2: I disconnected the plastic plug that plugs into the back of the ignition switch (mine is black) and used a jumper between the heavy red wire to the other heavy red wire with the black stripe. A few sparks, no crank, no "whizz" from the fuel pump.

#5 Oh I should have tried jumping starter to solenoid...? -------------------------------------------------------------------------- I see that another recommened test is jumping power between "the big fat post on the starter motor with the smaller electrical contact on the solenoid". Umm, is that terminal 50 or 16 on the solenoid? Or maybe for my solenoid I should ask "is that the terminal with the red wire, or the empty one?" I've put things back together, so before I pull out the air box etc. again, is this test meaningful, given what I did in #2?

Thanks for your time, folks.

-George

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:43 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > > See if the wire has fallen off the 50 terminal on the starter solenoid. I've had that happen in my present van and a '71 Fiat 128. If not, try jumping that 50 terminal to alternator B+. If it cranks then your next suspect is ignition switch 50 terminal or the neutral/park interlock switch if it's an automatic. > > Yrs, > d > > On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM, George Gaudette <gcgaudette@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi David, >> >> You're exactly right. When I turn the key to START I hear the fuel pump whiz until I let it spring back to ON, but no crank and no funny noises at any time. >>