Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 2017 07:48:50 -0700
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: good tool set...

This is very disappointing news; I was planning on buying a mongo set of Craftsman tools later this year. I'm finding that on the occasions when I have to work on a newer car, everything is so tightly crammed into such a small space that it's hard to find a socket that will fit the allotted space. For every size bolt head, it'd be helpful to have the full array of drive sizes, shallow/deep well, and and 6/12 point sockets to choose from. Craftsman was always great about offering sets at a reasonable price that covered it all. Is there another brand that does something similar? A thorough set of reasonable quality that wouldn't require taking out a third mortgage? I like the Neiko recommendation, but the brand doesn't seem to offer a package with all, or at least most, of the permutations of deep/shallow, 6/12 point socket sets.

Brett

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM, David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com> wrote:

> Craftsman tools nowadays are simply junk. I picked up a small socket set > from Sears because I was in a bind and Sears was available. Two of the > sockets cracked the first time I used them. So, they didn't get me out of > my bind. And now Ace Hardware sells Craftsman as well. Still junk. > > On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM, kenneth wilford (Van-Again) < > kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > > > I have actually been pretty impressed with the quality of a brand of tool > > called Neiko which you can find on Amazon. This socket set is nice > > https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02443A-Complete-Shallow-38- > > Piece/dp/B000HEC200 > > > > I have bought lots of different levels of tools over the years. I have > > some Snap On tools, Craftsman, Harbor freight. Of these three the Snap > on > > is the best (super expensive), Craftsman used to be second but in the > last > > 10 years the quality of their tools has slipped down to be about equal > with > > Harbor freight. Since HF tools are so much cheaper and you can exchange > > broken ones like Craftsman and the Craftsman quality level has dropped I > > usually purchase the HF. However, as you use tools over time, you find > > that more specialized tools that are better made, actually make jobs > easier > > and more enjoyable. > > > > Enter the Neiko tools. These tools have a quality level above Craftsman > > but a price that isn't much higher than HF. It makes you feel like you > are > > buying almost Snap on level quality but the price is right. I would > highly > > recommend checking out their products. I have been very happy with them > > for the past 5 years. They have saved me a bunch of time and money. > > > > Ken > > > > On Sun, Mar 19, 2017, 4:17 PM Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > hi all, > > > > > > I'd like to have suggestions for good complete tools set to bring along > > on > > > the trips... preferably metric.. . I had Husky set in a black case... a > > mix > > > of metric and SAE and I am looking something better than that... > > > > > > thanks in advance.... > > > > > > dan > > > > > >

-- Brett in Portland, OR "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera