Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:38:17 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about brake bleeding
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

Hi Eric,

There is a silicone based DOT 5 brake fluid that does not absorb water, but it's not intended for long term change intervals.

After trying DOT 5 fluid years ago in my MGB, I cannot recommend anything other than glycol based brake fluid, even though it absorbs moisture and needs to be changed every two years for maximum life of your braking system.

What I learned is that moisture can condense on the inside of the reservoir and collect on the bottom over time since it's not absorbed, which leads to water droplets in the system. From Wikipedia: "Polyethylene glycol fluids are hygroscopic and will absorb water from the atmosphere, which is necessary to prevent sheer and undiluted water in the braking system,[citation needed] which is very corrosive, also water droplets can freeze in the pipes, thus blocking the system."

The reservoir in my MGB is metal, making the condensation even worse. Silicone fluid is intended for racers that need a high boiling point brake fluid, not for long term change intervals.

You can use it, but unless you live in the desert change any brake fluid every two years.