Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:43:50 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Maintenance - Re-use old or new Rockford USA boots?

I'm looking for used OEM boots just to have a supply.

These boots flex a bazillion times every few thousand miles, and if the rubber is thin or poor quality they will split sooner rather than later from the constant flexing. I've even seen these made of vinyl, which is a very bad idea. There is simply no incentive for aftermarket suppliers to make these to OEM specifications because they would be $100+ each if they did, and we all know we are too frugal (i.e., cheap) to pay that.

The OEM boots can last an extremely long time partly because they are not exposed to sunlight or high temps. EPDM rubber is also the best rubber you can make and it can obviously flex at least a gazillion bazillion times (1 times 10 to the 240th power, at least): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber Sorry, it's the chemist in me coming out again ;-).

Also, the cooling system hoses on our Vanagons are also made from EPDM rubber. That's why many of us are still running with them, and will for a lot longer.

Stuart

While it goes against my grain I agree. I did just have van come in with Rockford boot that failed. Maybe they are "too" heavy duty. Could be something got to it and tore it up also. Don’t know! But it seems that with the current boots available after you replace 15 year old ones you get to check them at each oil change afterwards. Same even goes for the CV joints also.

Dennis

In my humble opinion, you are better off using the originals if there is no sign of dry rot. I just changed the first boot on my 91 tintop after 322k miles.

Bob C