Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2017 19:49:18 -0600
From:         Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Maintenance - Re-use old or new Rockford USA boots?

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to re-use my existing CV boots assuming they all pass inspection... and get a spare Rockford boot to take on the road with me.

It's hard to believe with all the modern technology we have, a modern CV boot can't be made that's even more durable than the old ones.

Cheers, Steve W.

On 18/04/2017 10:26 AM, Steve Williams wrote: > Hi, > > I am going to clean and lube the CV joints on my 2wd 1991 Westy. > > I've heard all sorts of horror stories about poor quality new CV boots > wearing out prematurely. > > My initial plan was to leave the original CV boots on, as they seem to > be in good shape. I have no idea about how old they are, at least 10 > years/50,000 km (as long as I've owned the van). > > I'm getting some parts and the supplier has indicated they sell the > Rockford USA CV boots. > > Is it advisable to replace the boots? I didn't think so at first, but > now I'm wondering... > > Thanks, > Steve Williams