Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 May 2017 17:48:06 +0000
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Problem with using gas shocks--or any other alternative--on Westy
              rear seat

A few days ago, while discussing the various arrangements for replacing the now-rusty stove lid props on our Westies, the subject of Alastair's gas spring replacement solution came up. Those of use who had ordered the same Banggood gas springs that he did found that we received a quantity of four shocks instead of the one spring we expected and were thinking of where the extras could be used. I mentioned that I would like to have a gas-assisted rear seat bottom to keep it raised without using the camper's original metal prop.

I realized today that isn't going to work, at least without enough trouble to make it not worth the trouble. The problem is that in deploying the bed, it has to be moved forward more than a foot from its "seat" configuration to extend the bed toward the front of the car. This would require ripping out one end or the other of the gas spring.

One possibility would be to install the gas spring to lift the metal prop itself, so that the bed just rested on it and could be moved independently, but then you would have to deal with the thing popping up whenever you lifted the bed and who knows what other problems.

Jim