Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 May 2017 18:37:32 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX Push Rods. Make Sure They're Seated! Was: 2.1 wbx
              rocker, pushrods

Ok. So I must've got lucky. With the following in mind (below), the "clack clack" I heard may simply have been a push rod or two seating.

Today, I did a compression test. #1 cylinder: 0 PSI. Couldn't even feel a puff of air out of the plug hole. All other cylinders ~ 120 PSI. The plugs were black. Normally they aren't. Re-checked rockers and pushrods on #1 cylinder head. Put a little oil into cylinder #1. Checked compression. 0 PSI. Installed new plugs. Engine fired up normally, ran much better, blew smoke for a while then exhaust cleared up. It now runs same as before. (normal) I figure....

- Most recent noise I heard when engine ran rough may have been alternator; I'd noticed the battery light at dash was no longer coming on. The D+ connector at alternator had failed. Maybe this caused the (brushes??) to behave in a different manner?? I repaired it of course. - cylinders were fouled with fuel, this fouled spark plugs hence poor running. New (clean) plugs helped engine start. - reseating push rods helped but clean plugs really helped engine start - lifters on cylinder #1 were completely bled down

Other than that, I have no idea why #1 went down to 0 PSI then engine started and ran as it normally did. I was surprised to see 0 PSI at #1 cylinder. #2 was the one I was concerned with.

Slightly confused but happy and optimistic that I didn't toast this engine as a usable core.

Neil.

On 5/19/17, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> So before removing the driver side rocker arm assembly, I noticed that > a valve spring at cylinder #2 appeared overly compressed. After > reseating the push rods and installing the rocker arm assembly, that > valve spring appeared to be less compressed. After quite a few boughts > of cranking I got the engine to run, but at lower RPM engine is rough, > it dies at idle, and there is a new unfamiliar noise at cylinder #2. >

> On 5/16/17, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > >> After checking head nut torque, i re installed the rocker arms (i was >> careful to ensure push rods were seated to liftrs), cranked the engine, >> and >> as it fired for a split second, i heard a "clack clack".

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>