Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 May 2017 12:52:10 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: What can go wrong.....
Comments: To: George Gaudette <gcgaudette@gmail.com>

I'm sure that "not" was intended. However it took me some headscratching to see how that would affect pressure buildup, as vapor pressure of coolant would be constant at a given temperature -- until I realized that there are two different mechanisms involved.

Initial pressure results from straight expansion of liquid coolant against the confines of the cooling system. Sixteen liters of 50% glycol coolant expands about half a liter going from 30C to 100C. Any air in the system would have a lower "spring rate" than the hoses, and would thus reduce the overall pressure -- until boiling, micro or otherwise, began; at which point the ultimate pressure would be controlled by the temperature in the hottest submerged section of the system, as vapor would be generated (quickly or slowly) until the equilibrium pressure was reached and the boiling stopped.

All heat-generating portions of the system must be submerged to avoid severe local heating, as steam has greatly inferior heat transfer ability compared to liquid. Same problem with micro boiling, it interposes a low-conductivity layer between the heat source and coolant.

Yrs, d