Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 May 2017 12:21:30 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX Push Rods. Make Sure They're Seated! Was: 2.1 wbx
              rocker, pushrods

One trick I'd thought of to help keep the push rod seated during assembly was to apply grease to push rod end that seats to lifter. Seems I wasn't far off the mark. Applying grease seemed risking in terms of potentially blocking the push rod passage so I tried some engine assembly lube instead. This didn't really help. I'd think if the surface of the lifter was oil free, the grease trick would work.

From here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050309065156/http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/waterboxes.html

A tip from the Late Great Boston Bob:

"PUSH RODS The push rods can hang up on the edge of the lifters which results in no compression. There are some simple tricks to installing push rods. First I have heard that greasing the push rod tip when installing the push rod can help. When I install push rods I push them in, then lift the far end and push again. This is done with the rocker arm installed, using light pressure to hold the rocker in place until you feel the push rods are seated, then install the nuts. A good pen light is very useful to see the down in the push rod."

On 5/20/17, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today, I did a compression test. #1 cylinder: 0 PSI. Couldn't even > feel a puff of air out of the plug hole. All other cylinders ~ 120 > PSI. The plugs were black. Normally they aren't. Re-checked rockers > and pushrods on #1 cylinder head. Put a little oil into cylinder #1. > Checked compression. 0 PSI. Installed new plugs. Engine fired up > normally, ran much better, blew smoke for a while then exhaust cleared > up. It now runs same as before. (normal) ....

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>