Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2017 12:21:59 -0700
From:         "C. Abney" <tsudonimh@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What can go wrong.....

It is the prevailing wisdom that when you see the alternator warning light turn on at speed you must pull to the side and shut the engine down as quickly as you may, if not quicker.

The alt light also serves as an indicator that the belt is hosed and, therefore, the water pump is no longer functioning. You won't even get a coolant indicator light when temps are already beyond damaging because the hot coolant isn't moving through the system to the temp senders (maybe temps there go up by convection and conduction...)

On 5/15/17, Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@gmail.com> wrote: > Well, it happened, the patient is a 91 Westfalia. I had left a rag in the > engine compartment > after topping of the power steering reservoir with the Castrol Dextron ATF. > So, in the short > term, it knocked out the bracket holding the dipstick. At the time that > was the only damage > done. So I fixed this by tie-wrapping the bracket out of the way of the > moving belts. > > Fast-forward to yesterday, I took a road trip from Durham, NC up to Laurel, > MD without issue. > But on the way back my battery/alt. light came on steady and shortly after > the coolant light > began to blink and the gauge went up toward critical red. I took my foot > off the accelerator > and was able to coast off on a exit and right into a gas station. By the > time I got out > and took a look behind I could see coolant spurting out. Looks like I lost > maybe a quart > or so. I could not tell where it had sprayed from at all. The > alternator/waterpump belt > was completely shredded and the power steering pump belt was off but looks > okay as > is the AC belt. > > I thought about getting the spare belts out but I had a long way to go and > by the time I got it > done I don't think I could have driven back without some sleep time. So, > I opted for > a AAA flatbed home. (Especially since I had to go to work Monday. I was > covered for the > first 100 miles but the second I had to fork out $4.00 per mile. I ate > the deal and was dropped > off at 1:00AM this morning. All because I left a rag in my engine > compartment and neglected > to fix the bracket like I should have. > > Any suggestions on how to better secure the bracket? > > Thanks, > > Steven > 91 Westy >

-- It seems my TO-DO list is a FITO (faster-in-than-out)