Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2017 21:26:56 -0400
From:         Laura Mangan <laurakmangan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires, Parts, Etc.
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com>

The mechanic I brought it to is not a VW mechanic by any means. But I am in a rural, conservative part of PA, and I brought it to him because he personally owns a VW bus. (It's his project baby) So I thought it was my best shot...

Thanks Ron!

I have all of the parts in my cart on busdepot.com and have been meaning to call and double check to make sure the tires I chose are rated correctly. (I would assume so, as website says they are matched for my model.)

I bought this van, because I've wanted one for 10 years, and this just sort of happened. I drove it from Florida to PA, and she did well, overall. It's mostly in original condition, and seemingly hasn't been taken care of that well. I am realising that I may be in way, way, way over my head. Financially, and otherwise. My boyfriend keeps trying to convince me to sell deiter (van), but I just can't bring myself to consider it. I literally have zero extra money and even less mechanical experience, so it isn't at all a logic based decision. Purely emotional. I feel like I've bonded with the van, and to sell feels like betrayal. (Silly, i know)

So for now,

Broke, clueless and smiling.

Laura

On May 25, 2017 9:15 PM, "The Bus Depot" <vanagon@busdepot.com> wrote:

> I doubt the shop can support failing inspection for the wrong tires.

I know of other VW shops PA that have failed Vanagons for using underrated (passenger car) tires. I have been led to believe that it is grounds for failure (PA inspections being relatively stringent). However it is rarely enforced because mechanics who don't know Vanagons don't know the difference. I once had an inspection mechanic at a national brake franchise try to test emissions by putting the wand in the gas heater tailpipe on my Bus. He looked very perplexed by the readings. World's first zero-emissions vehicle!

Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com