Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 2017 11:12:01 -0700
From:         Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Follow Up: Thumping from Tires (?)

I like the way the Nokian enTyre has performed on my camper, although one blew out for me last week. I may have been low on air (hence my need for a reliable gauge) or perhaps I damaged it when we were on some rocky roads in the Black Hills NF.

I'm replacing it with the same tire as I have only 16K on the set. Nokian enTyres in 205/70/15, at least, are being closed out and they are cheap. I'm getting one delivered to a local Wal-Mart for $40.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 40,000 miles is pretty good use for a set of tires. Tread separation-ride > disturbance is fairly common with radial tires and some brands-models seem > to be effected more than others. For myself I have yet to actually be able > to wear out a complete set of Michelins. Some will argue but for a > 215/60-16 you really want an XL rated tire which will have a load index of > 99. The I believe your Coopers are 95. After deduction 10% for use as a > passenger car tire on an LT application they are light for the application. > The 99 load index gives you a capacity of 1,709 pounds and the full > capacity is reached as 42 psi. The factory supplied tires in the 205/70-14 > were XL rated with a load index of 97. Most XL rated tires in that size are > now 98 load index. That would be my minimum. Here is a good choice for all > season use. > https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake= > Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29& > partnum=16VR6HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes > > Note the reasonable price. A recent favorite for my customers that do not > need winter capability is the Nokian eNtyre. Similar price range. > Outstandingly quiet and also a low rolling resistance design. Nokian and > Vredestein also offer "All Weather" tires in this size and load range. All > Weather is a set above all season for winter use, has that mountain > snowflake rating. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Steven Shelton > Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 7:48 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Follow Up: Thumping from Tires (?) > > I went it to my local tire store and the service guy Harlon and I lifted > the rear on a jack and ran it in 1st gear. He pointed out a ripple movement > on the inside of one of the tires. Stopping the engine, we could see where > the tread was worn almost smooth along an inch or two of the inside edge. > The tread was separating from the carcass. > > Harlon pointed out that it doesn't make sense to pay for high mileage > Michelins when I don't drive the van much. The Michelins are 7 years old > and only have 41,500 miles on them. There was a good amount of tread left. > He talked me into Cooper 215/60/16 Ultra Touring tires. The load rating is > 1521 lb and they were about $30 each less than Michelin Defenders. They're > made in USA! > > Just driving home I'm happy at how quiet they are. The steering resistance > is noticeably less than the Hydroedges. I don't know if that is a good or > bad thing as far as performance, but it's probably easier on the power > steering rack. >

-- 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty"

Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ Learn about black dogs in a Vanagon at http://www.pbase.com/mhersh/image/108220533