Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 2017 08:39:56 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Son needs YOUR help in getting his Dad's van back on the
              road
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>

If no one here can help, there are 13 Vanagons being parted out on The Samba: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=vanagon+parting+out+parts

Stuart

Right now, my Son, Sebastian, age 18, is without wheels because his Dad cannot buy (beg, borrow) the Brake Adjuster Push Rods that are needed to redo the rear brakes on Dad's '84 Vanagon. Our future generation of Vanagon owners should not be stranded because of parts that do wear out, become frozen, etc., for brakes and other safety related items. Please note that according to one list vendor's web site, all Vanagons need these parts for the rear brakes to function correctly. I am sure there is almost universal agreement that it is an embarrassment for my Son to be seen riding in his Dad's 2002 Lincoln Continental. He works the grave yard shift at one of the local Kroger stores, so no one is around at 1 a.m. in the morning when I take him to work.

I am sure some of you who read this, especially if you have very good memories will be saying, "John, if you, working strictly on your own without any help, could do an engine transplant in the Summer of 2003, why can't you do a rear brake job in 2017" Yes, I have the floor jack, jack stands, and probably most of the tools to do it. However, if the adjusters are as frozen as reported, then you cannot successfully do the rear brakes.

You were all 18 once and remember the trauma of having to walk, use your bicycle, or worse yet, have to rely on your parents for essential transportation. My Son had to use Uber to avoid embarrassment when he went on a date yesterday afternoon. He should have his own wheels, and he needs you help in getting the Brake Adjuster Push Rods.

Thank you for reading.

John