Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2017 21:22:13 +0000
From:         Michael Magnani <mfmagnani@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX Valve Adjustment
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Dennis,Sorry for the delay in answering your email.If you recall, I was at my wits end trying to get to the root cause of my hard-starting problem.Mike Miller put me in touch with Detlev and we had a phone conversation that involved him asking a series of troubleshooting questions, all of which I answered in the affirmative. Did you try this? YES. Did you try that? YES.Then he asked me if I had a vacuum gauge installed in the van. YES. He then asked: "When you're trying to start the engine, does the vacuum gauge needle pulsate or does it lie still? I told him that it lies still. He asked if I had ever performed a valve adjustment. NO. With a high degree of confidence, he said, "Adjust the valves and your problem will likely be fixed." I did and the engine started right up, complete with a pulsating vacuum needle while cranking. The one noisy rocker arm was my own fault. Today I found out which one it was, readjusted it and now I have a quiet running engine.I agree with you, Dennis. I would have thought that valves being out of adjustment enough to cause hard starting would have also caused running problem. But that was not the case. For 27 years the van has always run fine.My wife and I are less than a month away from embarking on our 30 day, around the country road trip and I want to thank everyone that helped get this sorted out.Mike M