Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2017 18:34:52 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Don't yell at me but I tried led H4
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca>

Hi Martin,

I chose not to get into the lumens vs watts discussion as it's a pickle :-)

I have to restate is the led bulbs I used were inexpensive ( not much different in price from halogens) and that they did to have a fan in the heat sink and most importantly the led element placement was very close to the same placement of the halogen filament. Of you compare it to other led drop ins you'll see how some have a very ill defined and broad element position.

My comparison was to 80/100 watt halogens. My conclusion was that with low beams the leds were superior, but on high beams the halogens had more penetrating power and less bounce back. The latter conclusion is very subjective, well all my conclusions are subjective when it comes to that.

I'm still running the led bulbs and I like them enough to continue. My auxiliary lamps are e code 6.5" with 55/65 W bulbs. The combo of the aux lights and the led main lights (and I have that smallish led light bar too if needed) are pretty good for my needs.

Alistair