Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:26:22 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Video of Noise at Clutch Operating Lever. Help Diagnose
              Please?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

On 6/25/17, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the help Dennis.

> What do you consider low miles?

30,000 miles or there bouts. When the rebuilt transmission and (current) new Sachs clutch were being installed by a shop, the owner/mechanic showed me my 6 year old clutch disc wear commenting that it had worn very little. My driving habits haven't changed since that time. < shrugs > Who knows; it's entirely possible I have a rear seal leak at engine.

> The cylinder shaft looks like the ball > socket is worn out or missing.

I wondered if there wasn't excessive movement between the ball and cylinder shaft.

> The cylinder bracket appears to have > significant movement, are all the bots there and tight? The housing where > the bracket is positioned around the clutch shaft could be worn-damaged from > corrosion.

I saw that too. And related to that area, I had to wonder if the cross shaft bushings at driverside are worn too far and-or lacking in lube.

> Regardless it looks like it is time for the trans to come out again.

yup. I think so.

> From experience I find that many trans repair folks do not address the > clutch shaft as part of an overhaul. For me any high mileage clutch job > often requires the shaft and bushings be replaced. For the shaft the fork > wears where the throw out bearing causing the bearing to push on the > pressure plate unevenly. Clutch chatter and a possible plate failure here we > come. The bushing near the cylinder wears or gets damaged. There are > improved versions available. I like the bronze one as they give the > smoothest operation.

I recall reading of a metal bearing solution for the driver side bushing at cross shaft. Rancho has these if I recall. I really have to wonder if any work was done to the clutch housing on this rebuilt transaxle. I've rebuilt a couple of clutch housings and had very good lasting results. If I every get a transaxle rebuilt again at the very least, I'll closely inspect the cross shaft arms etc. i.e. I'd install the transaxle myself.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>