Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:31:58 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: refrigerator update
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com>

Ok. Thanks. No problem. I could've been more specific and moreover, should've known better which line you guys tackled. I'd guess Robert knows more of the Dometic than I do. Figured that was the line you worked on.

With the fridge removed, if you connect a BBQ tank to your fridge, with that line open, can you smell fuel coming out?

Can't imagine why your fridge still has issues. If that line is clean and passes air, I'd think it would allow plenty of propane through to the burner jet; the orifice on that jet is very very small. And if I recall, your stove lights and has a healthy flame(s) so I would imagine the WC setting on your propane tank regulator is ok.

This is very much a wild guess but the line in question is likely 3/8". On my 182A it looks like its copper. I would think a new one could be flared and bent.

I wish I knew more (or something) about how the thermostat unit works but basically the small "silver" tube that tucks into the aluminum cooling unit inside the fridge provides an input to the thermostat; that "silver" tube needs to actually touch the cooling unit. There should be a small white bit that holds the tube against the aluminum.

The flame has two settings; small for pilot, larger when more cooling is required. If your fridge stays lit long enough, a cardboard tube will help view the flame to watch if it changes size when you turn up the thermostat. As you turn the thermostat you should hear a "click" coincide with change in flame size.

Many people swap out their Dometic 182's. One might be able to find a good used one for a decent price.

Neil.

On 6/26/17, David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neil, I apologize for not being as specific as I should have been. Yes, > the line we removed corresponds to the larger copper line in your photo, > immediately to the right of the air pump. It is smaller on my > refrigerator, and made of steel.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>