Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:29:51 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Video of Noise at Clutch Operating Lever. Help Diagnose
              Please?
Comments: To: Dick Wong <sailingfc@dslextreme.com>

Thanks again Dick. I don't have a helper here but had also thought I could use my automotive stethoscope and listen at each side of clutch housing. An earlier comment from Jason (uberhare) has me wondering if the clutch pressure plate is causing the noise.

I sprayed thickish chain lube at the slave cylinder push rod socket. No real change though I did see some rust carried away in the excess lube. I am curious why noise gets louder after I drive the van. i.e. is heat or use causing a part(s) to make noise?

FWIW to anyone, a person on the samba suggested using the hole at small bolt holding cross shaft bushing in place as a lubricating access point. As a last ditch effort I thought this was a good idea; one could inadvertently wash away any proper remaining at those parts ??

Heres another video of same parts but parts are cleaned, video shot "close up". At very least I find the video helpful since I don't have a helper here. I don't see excessive play between cross shaft and edge of plastic bushing:

youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEqV99SvV4

Likely unrelated to all this, I reviewed a video I made of the clutch lever on my 88. Though shot from a different angle, I see no movement at slave bracket.

On 6/26/17, Dick Wong <sailingfc@dslextreme.com> wrote: > Neil, > > Another thing you can do is place your hand on the rod and lever with > someone actuating the clutch. You should be able to feel the creak. > > So you may just need to clean and lube that ball and socket. > > Good Luck! > > -Dick- > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:10:31 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Re: Video of Noise at Clutch Operating Lever. Help Diagnose > Please?

> Something I meant to mention. My FTE slave cylinder has a plastic > socket which appears longer than the metal OEM type.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>