Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2017, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:21:38 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: refrigerator update
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@outlook.com>

Much thanks to David, Neil, Jeff, and Robert for their helpful responses.

Spokane Hose turned out to be no go on making a gas line. On to Inland Pacific Hose at Spokane Hose's recommendation. Nope. Both places because the line is metric (turns out, it is 4 mm O.D.), no new fittings, and "can't take the old ferrels off without ruining them." On to Kaman Hydraulics at Inland Pacific's recommendation. The desk salesman took one look, walked to the back, and came back with a line which he said only needed to be bent to work. It was already made up with fittings, and they were not right. Then to a VW-Audi shop I was unaware of, but where he sent me. Euro-Union, claimed to be the best Vanagon mechanic in Washington. Hmmmm ..... . But several Vanagons and a bunch of other VWs were there for service. Two mechanics supposed to have trained on Vanagons in Germany.

Don't have and can't get the line, and cannot make one. But provided advice: Get a solvent called Evapo-Rust, soak the part overnight. Ok, found the solvent at Harbor Freight. Picked up some cheap tools ("lifetime warranty", yipee) while there. Instructions on container say flush with water after soaking -- well ........ . But denatured alcohol should work, too.

Will try.

Meanwhile, got another recommendation, another shop, Chuck's RV, claimed to have the tubing, and know how to make the line by folks who purport to know. Chuck on vacation until Wednesday.

Will try the Evapo-Rust, see how that goes, and if it works, great. If not, one more try, Chuck. If that fails, does anyone have a refrigerator that works that they want to part with, or just the line?

Started removing the refrigerator this morning at 8:00 a.m. Got back to the house about 30 minutes ago (5:45 p.m.). So, Robert and I on Saturday, and me today now have 24 hours into this.

mcneely