Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jul 2017 17:40:07 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 Ernst Muffler Design and Failing Catalytic Converter
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

My experience with a couple of OEM cats is they slowly disintegrate. They are a ceramic honeycomb of small straight through holes. Either they plug up from big pieces going sideways or the break into small chunks that are eventually pulverized in the muffler and blown out as expensive dust. The cat in my '85 had about 1 1/2" of the core left and a golf ball size piece rattling around inside. Soon it would have emptied itself.

Stuart

Hi all.

Several archive and google images searches didn't bring an answer.

Is the Vanagon 2.1 Ernst muffler basically a straight through design? Or does it have baffles and sets of pipes redirecting exhaust flow? When a cat element fails, do the pieces usually get blown out the tail pipe?

On a trip in the Baja, the generic cat (likely Walker) on my Jetta 2.0 started to sound like it had several ball bearings bouncing around inside it. The noise abated fairly quickly but I'm certain the sound was caused by the cat element finally breaking into pieces. I'm wondering if any of those bits could get caught in the muffler or if they just blew out the tail pipe.

Neil.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>