Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jul 2017 18:40:45 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      water tank level indicator

Does anyone know the answer to this oddity? The water tank level indicator on my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile (the one with three lights to indicate full, less than full, empty or nearly so) has the middle lamp lighted when the tank is anywhere below almost full. All the way down to empty, the middle lamp is lit. I pulled the sensor out, and slid the float up and down the stick, and it responds the same way out of the tank as in it.

I am unclear as to how this thing works. The float must have a magnet in it which interacts with an electrical unit inside the stick. Maybe it moves a magnet up and down inside the stick to complete a circuit. But if that is the case, why has mine started indicating "half full" when empty?

Could it be that the wiring inside has slipped in its confines so that at the empty position the half-full circuit is completed?

I would check to see if a new part is available, but first I need to know what is not working. Of course, the stick is sealed, so I can't look to confirm my suspicions.

mcneely