Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jul 2017 19:27:35 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 Ernst Muffler Design and Failing Catalytic Converter
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Very interesting. Ok. I'd sized my generic cat for x.x litre engine etc. but obviously didn't even think of higher sustained RPM's.

I see the stainless steel GW muffler you refer to. Thanks. A bit spendy for me but we'll see what I use on my next engine swap.

Neil.

On 7/2/17, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Most mufflers for the vanagon have some form of baffles and tubes and it is > common for them to get plugged up by pieces of catalyst. One advantage of > the GoWesty muffler is the straight through design. > > As for the catalyst failing there is a reason those aftermarket cats are > becoming illegal in many areas. They don’t last as long as they should nor > perform as they should. In your case things are possibly worse due to your > choice of engine. As it works under more of a load and at higher RPMs the > cat is tasked with reducing the increased NOx emissions of that combination. > Of the aftermarket cats I have seen the Walker probably has the most > restrictive and shortest gas contact time of any of them. I used to use the > Emico as it was a well-made unit still reasonably priced. Now that I'm in an > area that requires OEM or CARB approved I use the GoWesty due to their > support and price. > > Dennis

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>