Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jul 2017 21:47:17 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bosch "premium" rebuilt starter appears to be built from
              non-Bosch parts!?!
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>

I've always been curious about the difference between "rebuilt" and "remanufactured".

I paid really good money for a rebuilt Bosch starter by a local independent speciality shop but foolishly didn't install it for some time into my '88 Westy. (starter out of warranty. Lesson learned). For what I paid, it should've been 100% rebuilt. It has always had the dreaded intermittent slow crank. And yes it's getting plenty of current and yes I replaced the bushing in the clutch housing. Sometimes it spins like there's no tomorrow.

On my '81 Westy (Jetta engine) I installed a reduction gear starter. Presumably, it's an off shore product. No regrets. Brand new, $65 on Amazon. Works every time. For what I spent on my rebuilt, I could buy 4 of those new starters.

Neil.

On 7/2/17, Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> One issue with rebuilt 'anything' today is the rebuilder will test and then > only repair / replace what failed. So, in the case of a starter or > alternator the with bad brushes, only the commutator is cleaned up and the > brushes are replaced. Or in the case of newer (later than 70's) Bosch > alternators, the commutator is cleaned up and the regulator is replaced > since the brushes are part of the regulator assembly. .....

> But there's an easy solution to the whole rebuilt parts dilemma - shop for > parts marked 100% rebuilt. And in the case of alternators and starters, > prepare to pay 60% - 80% more for a 100% rebuilt part.

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>