Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 2017 05:27:16 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheelchair Batteries vs GW Aux Battery

My personal recommendation is to use 4 wheel chair batteries at 22ah each which give you total of 88ah. I’ve had this set up going on ten years now and the batteries are still just as good as new. They have been totally discharged, to 0 many times and have always taken a re-charge with no detrimental problem. I know of no other batteries that can do this except for lithium ion ones and I don’t see them anywhere for this usage. Here are links to my set-up which I took from Karl Mullendore a long, long time ago. Also a link to the batteries I used. There may be other, better, sources for these batteries these days. As for charging I have of course the alternator, a built in trickle charger and a 130watt solar panel on the roof.

The first photo shows the four wheel chair batteries installed in the space under the drives seat. I used a Sure-Power 1315 battery separator which also can be fitted in the same space as the batteries. <https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNL5hkmR1n8weM1FRpoUnE9z2G5YAZZOpvwXyOm <https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNL5hkmR1n8weM1FRpoUnE9z2G5YAZZOpvwXyOm>>

The AGM wheel chair batteries I used: <http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=217 <http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=217>>

> On Jul 2, 2017, at 11:40 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote: > > Now that I have finally succeeded in removing my dead 12-year-old aux > battery, I'm looking to replace it. Here's what I had > <http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy%20Batteries/2017-0= <http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy%20Batteries/2017-0=> > 6-27%2015.49.49.jpg.html>, > and, of course it never fit properly. Worse, yet - whoever installed it si= > mply > added a 12 volt socket onto it > <http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy%20Batteries/2017-0= <http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/edtech2000/Westy%20Batteries/2017-0=> > 6-26%2008.31.33.jpg.html>, > and it never really functioned as an aux battery. This became clear to me > when after removing the aux battery, I was able to turn on my stereo > without the key. > > I would definitely like an aux battery that fits properly inside the > battery box. It seems that the GW 50 AH battery would be the easiest > solution, but I also like Ken Wilford's idea of connecting 3 wheelchair > batteries > <https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Power-Group-85952-Battery/dp/B001G8FY38?i= <https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Power-Group-85952-Battery/dp/B001G8FY38?i=> > e=3DUTF8&psc=3D1&redirect=3Dtrue&ref_=3Doh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00>, > which also fit in the aux battery box. 3 wheelchair batteries have 16 AH > more than the GW 50 AH battery > <http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=3DVanagon&id=3D4295 <http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=3DVanagon&id=3D4295>>, so that= > 's a > consideration. If possible I would like to see a picture of how the > wheelchair batteries are connected and held down. > > Ken mentions that wheelchair batteries should be charged regularly, but I > don't have a way to connect to electricity on a regular basis. (Would the > GW aux battery have to be recharged regularly?) > > If I decide on wheelchair batteries, I would like to choose a 12 volt solar > charger I could set on the dashboard; one that is small enough to put away > in the closet or inside the rear seat when not in use. > > My goal is to use solar energy to power my stereo, house electrical and a > 12 volt fridge, which I don't have, yet. I would like the fridge to run > 24/7. > > I'm not very skilled in battery technology, but hope to learn as I go. For > now, I would just like to decide on an aux battery solution, but will have > more questions after that! > > Thanks! > Patti > 90 Westy Automatic > Los Angeles

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale <http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm>) Frank Condelli & Associates <http://www.frankcondelli.com/> - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion <http://www.busfusion.com/> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 08 ~ 11, 2017