Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jul 2017 11:01:29 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subaru engine gas mileage
Comments: To: "Annie S. Anderson" <helloanniesue@GMAIL.COM>

After five years of research and gathering, I'm in the middle of doing this on my '85 with automatic transmission. Vehicles over 25 years old do not require emissions testing in WA, and licensing doesn't ask about engine conversions, so licensing is not an issue.

I'm using a rebuilt '92 Subaru 2.2 which two local transmission rebuilders have told me is best for auto tranny longevity. All Subie 2.2's are worn out now, so plan on $2000 to $3000 for a proper rebuild. '95 and newer 2.2s have OBD2 which is nice, but it complicates things a bit.

The automatic transmission needs a different cooler. Interestingly, German Transaxle provides the rebuilt A/Ts to Go Westy, and they now include GT's preferred cooler, which is also sold by GW separately. GT did my rebuild, and they told me we don't need the thermostat GW uses here in the temperate NW, and they sell the cooler kit without it for $250.

I've also installed the "freeway flyer" R & P but I'm not on the road yet and can't comment. Pmail me for more info on our local sources for engine rebuilds, conversion shops and services, our local VW tranny shop and other things I've learned.

You will spend more money, but it will be worth it. My estimate is you can easily be into a rebuilt waterboxer 2.2 or 2.3 $6000 or more including shop labor and all the other items that need replacing. And, you really should upgrade the cooling system and exhaust to the 2.1 systems, which will add even more to the cost, and you still have an obsolete engine with a 32 year old case.

The WBX is a very primitive engine design compared to the efficient and high revving 16 valve overhead cam five main bearing Subaru engine. This conversion has been around since the early '90s and is well sorted out, with kits and parts available from several suppliers. I'm mixing parts from KEP and Small Car, and using the Go Westy SS Vanagon muffler and the stock Vanagon cat. A true hybrid conversion that can only be done if you DIY, but you may not be interested in that option.

Stuart