Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 2017 09:47:25 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      electronic limited slip differential idea for 2wd vanagons

I often try to solve problems in my head while driving around. One of those is improving traction on my 2wd Vanagon. I've found that sometimes even what looks like a very slight slope on wet grass is enough to stop my forward progress with one wheel spinning uselessly while the other one has traction but no power sent to it. I have thought that the dune buggy style e-brake system where you can apply the brake to either rear wheel independently would be a good and simple solution but maybe a bit difficult to implement in the tight area between the seats. I've always liked the idea of a traction control system on AWD cars that have open differentials and just use the ABS system to slow down wheels that are getting too much torque.

My mind drifted back to this problem yesterday while stuck in traffic and I first thought about an electrical actuator that would put a bias on the angle of the bar where the two cables meet and connect to the one that goes to the brake lever. Bell or Felder industries could design and build the revised hardware in an afternoon. Then I thought about having separate actuators on each brake cable that would basically shorten the length of that cable on demand. A knob on the dash could bias left or right. Next thought was speed sensors on each wheel, providing data to an arduino or other micro-controller, that would automate that process. One wheel turning and the other not? Add braking to that wheel. One wheel turning 2X as fast as the other? Add braking to that wheel. So you'd pull up on the brake lever and engage this system only when needed. Final incarnation of this fantasy system was to eliminate the brake handle completely and just make it electric. one actuator pulling each brake cable under the van. Rear wheel speed sensing system to bias torque which you can activate when you are stuck. Now, I know some cars have electric parking brakes these days. IIRC I was in one of those cars and when activated it definitely sounded like mechanical things were happening, not hydraulic things. I do worry about the emergency brake being taken over by an electronic system. If I'm in a brake failure emergency, I want to be able to mechanically operate the emergency brake, adjust how much I'm applying, etc. Not that the vanagon e-brake (at least on mine) would lock up the rear wheels, but still. On those cars with electric parking brakes, is there any manual mechanical emergency brake? I don't think there was on the one that I was in. Do you just press that parking brake button if your hydraulic brakes fail?

So there's my idea, get out there and make one! ;) Edward