Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2017 06:39:48 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Rear wheel bearing hints

The rear bearing replacement that I've been dreading was not so difficult on my 84 manual transmission Vanagon. You Tube videos are a real help. I found one​, Van​agonaughts or something, that gave me some great pointers for the task. Couple of things I learned: I couldn't detect any difference in the noises from the bearing when swerving or turning... difficult to determine which wheel bearing was the culprit. I did find that when braking, the bad bearing was louder...sounded just like worn out.brake shoes.. I also got around bleeding brakes. I did have to disconnect the brake line, but I stuck the rubber bleeder screw on the line while I went on with the job, then once the big parts were back in place, I opened the bleeder valve while I finished torquing everything... Nice to have no more nasty rumbling from the rear ...