Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jul 2017 00:23:40 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Buzzing from Fuse/Relay area after getting A/C fixed

Mine is an 85 tintop, converted to Subie 2.2 about 30,000 miles ago.  Zero mile rebuilt motor had an A/C compressor on it, but that was not at zero miles so unknown miles on the compressor. I took it to a premier A/C shop here in San Diego to finally get the A/C working.  Yeah, they found several leaks and repaired them.  There was still one tiny leak left in Evaporator; mine is one of those rare ones which hangs down from the ceiling behind driver/passenger with a channel going up front to outlets.  Works pretty good I must say.  Oh...since there was a leak...by FEDERAL LAW they could not put R12 into it; either fix the tiny leak at evaporator ($2700+  really difficult job with no guarantee of success) or go ahead and retrofit to R134a.  I figured I could DIY top off with readily available and cheap R134a and maybe even down the road try some of that sealant stuff to fix the tiny evaporator leak, so that's the road we went.  GoWesty kinda says the same thing in their Library regarding A/C. Took if for a BIG first run; from sea level to 6000' in 90 degree F weather in 60 miles.  A/C worked really great, very pleased, it's been 25 years since it worked. But, heard some intermittent buzzing in Fusebox area around left driver's knee area.  Hmmmm...  Temperature gauge fine, engine performance fine..just the buzzing in fuse panel area.  Intermittent....this may be a key clue.

So some relay or something is being strained.  My plan is to disconnect main battery ground, and then get to work cleaning up contacts on fuses and relays.  Maybe add some grease on contacts to enhance/protect conductivity.  All of these connections are 32 years old in a coastal environment, meaning salt air.

Any ideas on which relay I should look at first?  Is my plan proper?

Rich San Diego