Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2017 19:30:49 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ideas for front speaker mounts not in doors
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Hi Ken.

This doesn't really address what you want, but may give ideas? I have a speaker in each door panel but wanted more!

I've almost finished a relatively small sort of "V" shaped enclosure that fits over the gear shift lever. On my bus, the plastic piece that covers where the heater core coolant hoses was removed so I have a little more room.

I actually have 2 woofers, 2 mids, and surface mount tweeters on this thing. It's a prototype so lots of hindsight happening already, but would suggest to anyone attempting such a thing to use as thin a wood as possible; it's dang heavy already. It will absolutely need to be tethered properly.

Testing was staved off by some "Magic Smokeā„¢ " being released from my headlight dimmer but so far, it sounds ok. Certainly far better than just one speaker per door. The speakers are being powered by a 4 channel amp and use a passive crossover on each channel. So far, things are wired so that the driver and passenger each have a L/R stereo image, of sorts. Initially, having the woofers out of phase seemed best but now that there is an acoustic barrier between each woofer, I'm thinking in phase will be better.

Apologies for the long ramble!

Neil.

On 8/4/17, kenneth wilford (Van-Again) <kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > I have an 85 Westy that we got all new interior for including new front > door panels. The new panels have no speakers installed and I would like to > find a different location for speakers besides the front doors. Any ideas? > > Ken >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>