Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Aug 2017 19:29:30 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuse Size: Aux battery to fuse block
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Steve: No. No motor or anything like that. Thanks.

Thanks Dennis. Ok, I see what I did wrong. Wire charts I looked at were for 12 Volts (vs 13.8 or 14). The marine application wire size calculator I saw could be set to a 10% voltage drop for "non critical" loads so on the wire size calculator I actually used, (here):

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

I figured 5% was ok. And this was in spite of it having a default 2% setting. Of course as you point out, at 2%, the minimum wire size is 10 AWG. (and that's for a 6.91' wire) Regarding fusing the #12 fuse block supply wire with a 40 Amp fuse, I was focused on "fusing the wire" against a dead short based upon (my incorrect) Amp capacity.

Loads on fuse block: two 55 Watt Fog lights, CB, Stereo + amp, 1 LED festoon, USB outlets. As mentioned, I'll measure these loads but had used the manufacturer supplied fuses or specs for each load (15, 2, 15, ? 4.x) to calculate the potential total current.

And, I now see more clearly why VW did what they did regarding unfused or fused wires.

Back to the drawing board!

Neil.