Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 2017 21:31:09 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1981 Fuse S9 Potential Future Loads
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I was basically asking for a double check on what loads are on S9 for a 1981 Westy. The fuse seems pretty large for what appears to be a relatively small load so I thought maybe I'd missed something. My fog lamp relay switch (85, 86 circuit) and a wire for future loads are now on that fuse. I didn't want to install that future load wire if S9 was already maxed out with loads.

The Hella fog light kit c/w a fuse and holder and are connected to the 30 circuit but are wired so I can switch them on/off independent of the headlights. But I hadn't thought to wire them so they aren't potentially an extra load when cranking starter. The alternator to starter post wire is larger than stock, and the wire from there to starter battery is from an '85 Vanagon. I think 6.0 metric is larger than AWG 8. But I think I would be wise to upsize that 6.0 wire.

On 8/1/17, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Not sure what you are really asking. For fog lights you need to look at them > as a continuous load and voltage drops ruin their performance. It would be > best to tap the power from the battery feed to the fuse box and use a good > fuse set up for that purpose. The trigger circuit (switch) for the relay > should come off of the load reduction contact so that the lights turn off > with the ignition and also during engine cranking such as during a restart. > This keeps more of the battery available for that priority. As part of > getting more light you really need to consider the full path all the way > back to the alternator as that, not the battery is the main power source > while running. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Neil N > Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 8:08 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: 1981 Fuse S9 Potential Future Loads > > Hi folks. > > Bentley 97.15 shows S9 as 16 Amps. The only loads I see connected to it are > turn signal lights, emergency flasher display light, emergency flasher > relay. Starting in 1983 WBX (and diesel I think), the diagrams show "radio" > connecting to S9. > > For the 1981, is that fuse relatively large for the current loads because VW > anticipated the radio as a future load or am not seeing all the loads as > shown in the diagram? > > The positive leg (86) of my fog light relay will be connected to S9 with a > re purposed #12 wire. The relay switch is obviously a small load, the wire > is relatively large, so i'm thinking that #12 wire could also be set up for > future loads. > > Neil. > > -- > Neil n > > Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca> > > 1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy> > > 1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/> > > Vanagon-Bus VAG Gas Engine Swap Group <http://tinyurl.com/khalbay> >