Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Aug 2017 19:55:12 -0400
From:         John Samuel <subaruavendre2000@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual Window Regulator. Plastic Square; Most Common Failure
              Point?

Last winter during our trip into Mexico, will arriving into Cancun, the driverside glass dropped down into the door. Had to do a camping's hack with a locally bought expensive (around $6us) wallyword"s cuttingboard. So I was very happy to see that link as this hack is always in the back of my mind (Since I do not think the cuttingboard plastic material is top notch).. Well .. I think I'll endure that hack. =8-o

Here's some picts that I hack (during travel space to keep pictures was limited and wife did frequents cleanup. So no picts of the process or handcraft or tools-of-trade anymore)

Basically, Fold down the flaps/fingers to remove the metal center piece. Heat up the center piece on the cooking stove. Work it into the board. Heat again , work it into the board more, repeated as necessary. When the center piece sitting well and good into place and rotation of in was smooth, I cut the board slightly bigger then needed and made into shape testing it into it spot before re-assemble to the regulator.

https://goo.gl/photos/GcjRb3Astwv2FDcs6

Also prior of leaving, in preparation/play time, I had did a hack of 2 of the 4 plastic "follower" that slide into the track. That was made at home with dremel tools into a piece of snowboard UHDP that a friend gave me. I feel safe with that hack as the plastic is better quality then the ncuttingboard (maybe even, if I may say, then the original).

Pathao "