Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:59:40 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Cover?
Comments: To: moritz schmid <schmidm90@gmail.com>

Not only is it no fun to clean up after mice, but some of them carry Hanta (Sin Nombre) virus, and people are easily infected by inhaling the virus along with dust from the nests, fecal deposits, and urine. Not all mouse species have been tested, but in most parts of North America the most common wild mouse is the deer mouse, _Peromyscus maniculatus_, often also called (along with other species) the field mouse. It has been tested in many places, and generally one in ten individuals harbors the virus. People who contract this illness, which is a kind of pneumonia, have a one in three death rate. These mice readily invade homes, outbuildings, and vehicles, whether or not there is food as an attractant. House mice also carry this virus, but in a lesser frequency. If your mice are house mice, you can tell by the smell, very noticeable and unpleasant. _Peromyscus_ also has an odor, but not as strong and definitely not the same (or as unpleasant) as house mouse odor. If you've ever smelled house mice you will remember it forever.

So, if you do have mice in your vehicle (or elsewhere), with nests and or fecal deposits, follow CDC and public health department recommendations, and wet the materials with diluted (10%) chlorine bleach, for a final concentration of 0.5% sodium hypochlorite, leave it for 20 minutes, then clean it up. Wearing a mask is not a bad idea, either. Do the same with any trapped rodents or stray carcasses, and wear gloves for either task. Oh, do not vacuum the mess, as that will volatilize the dust and viruses with it.

I know, seems like overkill, but death (or even serious illness) seems worse to me. Every year someone dies of this illness, usually exposed by cleaning up mouse messes, though some have simply slept in buildings that were heavily infested.

McNeely

Oh, some swear that Irish Spring bath soap will repel mice. So, I have been keeping it in various places in my camper. So far no mice, though they are in the area. So it works, right? Well, that may be like the old joke about elephants, red paint, private parts, and apple trees where they allegedly hide. If you were a teen in the late fifties, you probably heard it.