Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:16:54 -0400
From:         Laura Mangan <laurakmangan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      1985 ignition lock cylinder install help

Hi all,

In need of assistance installing a new ignition lock cylinder in 85 1.9l vanagon.

I've got the old, broken one out but cannot, I mean cannot get the new one in properly....

What's the trick?

The part is from busdepot. When I put the key in the lock cylinder and try to turn it, it doesn't turn. Seems normal as the old one doesn't turn either now that's it's out of the housing.

I attempted to put the new lock cylinder in the housing with the key in it, and the cylinder won't stay in the housing, it slides right out and the key won't turn. Okay, so I take the cylinder out, Take the key out, and install. Goes right in and clicks (locks) into place. But... now the key won't go in at all.

Please help. I can't find any info in the Bentley about it.

Thanks

Laura