Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Aug 2017 21:01:42 -0400
From:         Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure light and buzzer

Can't seem to navigate the list from my phone so can't find your specific replies. Found this message in my sent box. Anyhow...

Thanks for your wide range of helpful comments.

Status update: no further oil pressure events after remove, clean and reassemble oil piston spring assembly, and a change of oil.

I ended up changing the spring anyways even though there are strong logical arguments that it is NOT the spring. (BTW: I sourced the spring from the local Porsche dealership as VW wouldn't supply it. It came with a part number revision: same number with a letter C instead of B at the end.).

So, I will see if the oil alarm gets triggered again as the oil degrades. I guess that would indicate one of the other problems: bearing clearances going bye-bye, or oil pump, or ?

Otherwise, maybe there was some gunk in the oil pressure relief system that keeping it from re-seating properly?

Need to add oil though. (It seems to be dripping out somewhere near the engine block to transmission housing, right onto the exhaust pipe and bracket which is right there. About half a litre has dripped out over the last 1000km.)

Cheers, Gabby 1986 Westy, 2.1L WBX manual Tx (Currently, we are near St Simeon, Quebec. )