Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2017, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:39:48 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: trip report, eclipse
Comments: To: Toomey Douglas <drt@uoregon.edu>

Actually, we were in a cabin S of John Day, off of FS Road 24 (Deer Creek Road). We elected for what we thought would be a better site for the number of people and cars we had, though we had a little shorter totality time for the eclipse. But we could have seen you any number of places. We saw several vans that might fit your description, including bikes. Ours is a 1991 silver-tan Vanagon camper with white top. Our friends from California were in a blue Eurovan camper, and a 1990 white Vanagon camper. Our daughter and family were in a Prius. They were fine on the FS roads, but they definitely would not have been on the western leg of FS Rd 24 that I took to fish the S. Fork.

We stayed a week, botanizing, birding, and just relaxing.

When the light started to dim like at dusk, a huge number of Greater Night Hawks (not actually hawks, but members of the goatsucker family along with Whipporwills, Poorwills, and Chuck Will's Widows) began flying. As it brightened again, they disappeared, presumably settling back to their daytime roosts.

Camping in the forest was quite available along the roads we drove. We actually saw only a small handful of folks camped in open camping areas, and two campgrounds we saw were only partially filled. I suspect that the campgrounds to the N of U.S. 26 were jammed, however. A big one, Magone Lake, is right on the center line of the eclipse, and has all the full services of the more developed NF campgrounds, including RV hookups, showers, dump stations.

David