Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2017 23:06:00 -0400
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radiator fan switch
Comments: To: rickdcooper@GMAIL.COM

The Vanagon coolant system, when working correctly, is actually quite robust. There is an A/C condenser in front of the radiator that VW took into consideration. As long as you are moving, not stuck in traffic, even at 85+F ambient temp, the low speed fan takes care of things. As long as your temp guage doesn't get beyond 3/4 and no flashing red light happens, it's working correctly and don't worry about it. To more fully answer your question, your coolant has to reach 85 C/185 F to just turn on the fan. It takes 95 C/203 F to get the fan to get to high. That's a lot of degrees. It's amazing how much one can learn when one has to research a problem. What's that about VW making owners into mechanics for the past 30 years.

Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Cooper <rickdcooper@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tue, Sep 5, 2017 10:14 pm Subject: Re: Radiator fan switch

I've got the same or at least a similar problem with my radiator fan.

The low-speed fan kicks in as expected but the high-speed fan never kicks in. But I know it works since I've done the jumper test at both the switch and at the high-speed relay. I have replaced the switch.

Maybe the coolant is not getting hot enough for it to kick in -- I'm in Victoria, BC where it never really gets super hot, but I would have thought that going up long hills at highway speed on a hot day (~85 degrees F) should be enough to trigger the high-speed fan.

At what temp should it kick in? I've got an infrared temp gun so I could test that.

Thanks, Rick