Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 2017 16:16:54 -0400
From:         David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5+years on Rescue Tape.. Fri post
Comments: To: dhanson928@GMAIL.COM

Hmmm... I also installed a Golf starter on my Gen.V inline VW engine. It took a bolt on adapter billet. After a while, it also started making that kind of noise. I asked FAS about it, and was told it's not an uncommon noise from those starters, don't worry about it. While having something else checked out at my local mechanic, he said it sounded like I may need a new starter soon??? For now, I'm hoping it is the former and not the latter. If it goes bad, I will have a few words (and maybe not nice ones) with FAS.

Dave B.

I have a mended hose coming out of the head on my inline VW Vanagon, patched on the roadside in Portland Oregon about 5 years ago. That rescue tape is good stuff.! I've had a new replacement hose in my spares all this time, but it feels quite flimsy... I'm sticking with the taped up one. Going under tbe van to swap out the starter this morning.. though the old one is still working...Ever since I swapped in a 2liter ABA (93 Jetta) motor (appx 75k miles ago) my starter has been making a "squelching" noise at the end of the starting event....Weird. I'm guessing tbe 'new' one will work better, without the odd noise... likely a missing bushing... Lately I'm hearing another "whirring" sound as the starter begins... It's been doing the job for years, but the additional new whirring sound has me worried..I go lots of places where I'd be hard-pressed to push start the old van alone... something I can do on flat ground....time to go to work, I guess.

-----Original Message----- From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Fri, Sep 1, 2017 11:31 am Subject: 5+years on Rescue Tape.. Fri post