Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 2017 21:48:00 -0400
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Radiator fan switch solved

Hi all: First, thanks for all the replies. Dennis, that was what I was looking for. Second, little successes can be quite uplifting. Stopped by at Sports Car Clinic in Myrtle Beach (thanks Abel and VanAlert). Was very happy to see a splitty, bay window. and some bugs and dune buggies in the lot among other vehicle. Spoke to Scott (who just bought a '90 Vanagon, and is their top mechanic) and he also gave me a few tips, but more on that later. Went back to the body shop. Broke out the test light and checked the fuses and supply. Checked for power at the female plug. All seemed OK. Then Vic (at Wreck-a-Mend body shop) mentioned that when he moved the bus from the fab side of the shop to the bondo/paint side , the red light on the temp guage flashed more than just at start up. I checked the expansion tank and the fluid was low. Now, let me point out I spent about 3 1/2 hours flushing the system and filling it with DexCool. Checked the hoses front and back, which got correctly hot as well as the radiator. Some of that time was the flush due to FAS telling me that is what they use. and I bought some only to find the green stuff in the system (another flush in mind when I get home). Had usual trouble with that. BTW, Scott at Sports Car told me when he had trouble bleeding the coolant, he would take the vehicle for a hard bumpy ride. Apparently, when Vic moved the bus (over the lip of the garage twice and the bumpy rear of the shop) he shook loose some air bubbles. So I filled the expansion tank a bit over tilled, and took it over some bumps and up and as down as one can get in coastal South Carolina. I couldn't get the temp guage to get over the red light. I took it back to the shop and let it sit at 2K, and Viola, the fan kicked in. Bled some air out of the rad and all is normal. Hallelujah! Appears I don't have to buy more parts and overnight ship them. Sitting here with a bourbon and thankful for little blessings. I may have to wait until the current hurricane passes until I can head home to MA, but the metal work and mechanics seem done.

Dave B.

Dave B.