Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2017, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:15:34 +0000
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 13 Sep 2017 to 14 Sep 2017 (#2017-357)

I hear you Ken, but I would add a couple of points:

1. Several years ago GoWesty went to a "you get what we tell you" approach to restorations. I.e., they quit restoring customer vans, and started buying them, doing what *they* wanted, then selling them. I think its a hard sell when you're charging $80K for a 30 year old vehicle and telling the customer what work is done, and how it's done. Kind of the Henry Form / Ma Bell approach of yore: You can have anything you want as long as you want Black...

2. People don't buy neat bolt on stuff for dead vehicles. If mundane repair parts become NLA, or mechanically unnecessary, but functionally/aesthetically necessary (window/door/top rubber, popup canvass, etc.) the bolt on business dies along with it, and likely ahead of it. Maybe others will get in the game, maybe not.

Everyone needs to take care of themselves first, obviously, and I'm certainly no different so please don't take this as a criticism. But in niche market like we're in with Vanagons, doesn't take too many folks dropping out of the "mundane" market to make a big dent. It's just sad that, in so many areas these days, providing valuable services - as opposed to selling "trinkets" - just doesn't pay a decent living wage anymore.

Or maybe I'm just old and crotchety.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy GenV (Marvin)

------------------------------ Date:    Thu, 14 Sep 2017 11:54:02 -0400 From:    "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Go Westy no longer selling restored Vans Just saw this on the EV list and thought I would post it here. I think I know why this has happened. It is really the same path that we have been on for the last several years.  Going from a repair shop/parts store, to a restoration shop/parts store (where we are now), to an accessories developer/parts store (they will probably eventually stop selling the repair parts at some point and only supply the accessories/Westy parts which would be very ironic as that is how the whole business started back in the day). It really just comes down to making the most money with your time, with the least headaches.  Developing cool accessories that aren't mission critical is a great way to make a ton of money (high mark up) while avoiding the thing that is the most soul destroying in the Vanagon world (dealing with broken down vans on trips).  I had lots of great experiences with doing repairs for customers over the years, however one bad experience (with an unreasonable customer, or someone who seems to be jinxed for some reason) overshadows your life until you get it resolved.  Getting a phone message at 10 o'clock at night on a Saturday from a customer broken down in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing you can do for them until Monday will wreck your weekend if you actually care (which I do).  Getting away from that wheel of pain has helped me enjoy servicing the Vanagon world again and we are actually making the same or even a little more money.  I have just dipped my toe into the restoration and sales world and so far that is going well.  However eventually, I will use that money to expand the accessories that we sell, because that is really where the money is right now.  People just can't get enough stuff to bolt and strap onto their vans.  I tried to buck the trend for a while but if you can't beat em, join em. Just my thoughts on this. -- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com ------------------------------