Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2017, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:29:51 -0700
From:         Kevin P Gilleran <kevin@GILLERANENERGY.COM>
Subject:      Re: World parts Radiator Fan Solution. Again.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis, Thanks very much. Very informative and clear!

Since I have AC as well I have read elsewhere that the air space between the condenser and radiator should be blocked off around the edges. What sort of material are you seeing people using to do this?

Sincerely,

Kevin

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:14 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; Kevin P Gilleran Subject: FW: World parts Radiator Fan Solution. Again.

Here is a link to some pictures of new style fan attached to a radiator. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqaEiIhKCAKbiKQA-8q3YGmZPT4jyg

Mounting brackets SPAL 30130032, you need to order 4 http://www.jegs.com/i/SPAL/063/30130032/10002/-1

Flex-a-lite 118 Black 16" LoBoy Electric Fan (puller) http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=flex+a+lite+118&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

This is now my replacement for radiator fans all models. You will need to drill 4 6mm holes in the radiator frame for the fan mounts. This fan moves 2500 cfm on only 19 amps. I have done extensive testing with the factory fan resistor and it works fine, gives 3 speeds. So far elimination of the shroud seems to offer better cooling at highway speeds with noticeable improved AC operation. Ram air does not have to squeeze through that reduced fan opening on the stock shroud. For the earlier fans you will need to add a fan resistor to the wiring for the low speed. .9 ohm 50 watt works well.

Dennis

From: ddbjorkman@verizon.net [mailto:ddbjorkman@verizon.net] Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:41 AM To: d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: World parts

Thanks Dennis. Please send the info as soon as you can. I need to get this done and get back home to MA. Had to send the wife home last Friday by plane and I miss her and the dog. I'm running out of time and money on this unexpectedly lengthy trip. Much more fun when it's planned. BTW, new fan shrouds seem hard to find. Anyone got a vendor?

Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM<mailto:d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>> To: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>> Sent: Wed, Sep 6, 2017 10:07 am Subject: Re: World parts

I have a low cost, more efficient radiator fan solution. I can send details later.

Dennis

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET<mailto:ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET><mailto:ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET<mailto:ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET?>> Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:03 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM><mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM?>> Subject: World parts

Looks like I have to replace my rad fan and shroud, When fan is turned by hand, one can feel a lump, or sticky spot in the rotation and is quite loud when operating. Shroud was bent and somewhat rusted and although it was straightened and painted I might as well do this up right. Advance Auto Parts may be able to get them, as they have some relationship with World parts, and they are local and may save me some shipping costs. Has anyone got any pro or cons on World Parts. I am not sure of their reputation and am deciding if I want to go that route or stick with our regular vendors.

Dave B.