Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2017 15:06:49 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine running badly
Comments: To: Bruno Walser <bruno.walser@comcast.net>

What colour were the plugs? Were they all about the same colour? Sure sounds like a rich run situation.

My guess is that the green O2 coax is shorting out. Remove the connector to the green coax, engine off, use voltmeter to check if theres any continuity between the centre lead and outer coax. There should be none. If you see continuity, slowly bend the coax. See if continuity cuts in/out. The other possible cause is a bad hose between fuel pressure regulator and intake plenum. (hose has a vacuum leak)

If you're seeing a coolant leak at thick rubber gasket between head and coolant jacket, the leak *may* be at that thick gasket. However. This not the head gasket per se. The actual head gasket is between cylinder and head. Clean the areas involved, do a pressure test, watch for leak(s).

Neil.

On 10/1/17, Bruno Walser <bruno.walser@comcast.net> wrote:

> ...... On our way up, in Maine > intermittently the car would start to jerk/hesitate. This happened not only > at high speeds. It was not the "Vanagon syndrome". I disconnected the > oxygen sensor and things got better. So I got a new oxygen sensor installed > in Nova Scotia. Car seems to be running ok again, although it felt just a > it off.

> Yesterday I tried to figure out the problem. Now the engine wouldn't even > start. I took the spark plugs out. They were completely fouled. I installed > new ones. The engine starts up and idles normally, but again it seems to > hesitate and jerk and lower RPM's and low load. I disconnected the oxygen > sensor again and things seem to be a bit better. I checked timing, > temperature sensor, throttle switch, compression, all seems to be ok.

> BTW, I failed to mention that the engine developed a head gasket leak, but > it seem still small (barley lost any coolant on our trip). I was told that > the leak should not cause any running issues, at least as long as it > doesn't become a more serious leak.

> Bruno > 86 Vanagon Westy, 2.1 WBXwith Digifant >

-- Neil n

Blog: Vanagons, Westfalia, general <http://tubaneil.blogspot.ca>

1988 Westy Images <https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy>

1981 Westfalia "Jaco" Images, technical <http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/>