Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2017 15:48:16 -0700
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil light
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com>

I solved the oil light flickering after long, hot drives by moving from Oklahoma to Washington ( lol ).

Actually, there is something to that. I found that the light would flicker upon decelerating to near idle after a lengthy drive in high ambient temperatures (like up around 100 F). I realized what was happening when I drove into a thunderstorm on Raton Pass (I 25 New Mexico to Colorado), and the oil pressure climbed from around 15 psi to 30 psi AS I CLIMBED). It was simply cooler, and the oil cooled off, too. Like others, synthetic oil and the problem hasn't reappeared. Of course, one has to have an oil gauge to pick up the phenomenon in the way I did. At the time, I was using Castrol 20W-50.