Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 2017 13:26:30 -0400
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      General tool (brand name vs quality vs price) question. (NVC)

All, With the vultures circling for the eventual death knell to Sears//Craftsman, I'm wondering what professional tool lines guys are using that have been accurate, trustworthy, long lasting, and good value for the money. Yes, I mentioned cost *last*. Why? I've had a good run with Craftsman (even though they're made by some other company), they've worked well and the warranty was always honored but I'm not a fan of Matco or Snap-on for the whole reason of price. Yes, they do have some neat things but they are wickedly over priced. Yes, I own a few things from both of them and it's convenient to jump on the truck each week but I have found the same items online (or even in the store!) for much, much less. However, I *always* choose the better tool even if it costs a little more. Wrenches and sockets are mostly similar with a few tweaks or selling points here or there. Then there are the specialty wrenches (angled, short, extra long, etc.) Sockets and wrenches seldom seem to give me any trouble except when I over do it or abuse it. What's really a high wear item or I always seem to get junk in is with screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, etc. For example, I popped for a set of Klein wire strippers from Home Depot one day when I needed one on the spot. I could have gone with the standard house name or a few others but I opted to get quality, I've wired up everything from 6/2 power cords to 18 gauge wires and I have not been unhappy for one second. They're worth every cent. On the other hand, I've gotten plenty of Channel locks (cutters, pliers, slip-joint, etc.) and while my dad swore by them, I've been less than impressed. Seems the name is carrying more weight than the actual quality. With all that being said, for you guys who turn wrenches several times a week, what are you using/recommending? Speaking of Channel Locks Slip Joints, I've seen some interesting versions from other companies. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with them?

Thanks,

TJ