Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2017, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 2017 21:47:31 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: General tool (brand name vs quality vs price) question. (NVC)

About 2 years ago I went to the Sears "Appliance and Tools" place that was near me. I bought a 1/4" drive socket and extension. When I got home I found that the extension would not go into the socket. That building now houses a Harbor Freight store.

The quality of HF stuff varies greatly. There are a number of websites devoted to rating their various offerings. The problem is that the ratings are often out of date because the products change so frequently. One tool that I have found useful and durable is the half inch drive rachet with a handle that telescopes out to give you more leverage when needed. I hope it's still available. Another item that I am NOT pleased with is the creeper that sells for about $20 when on sale. It claims to be rated for 300 lbs, but my 150 lbs make it scrape on the floor. It has also recently developed a crack. YMMV

Larry A.